“The secret to getting ahead is getting started.” -Agatha Christie
Recently, a Financial Fitness success story was shared on the personal blog of Financial Fitness customer, Robby Palmer. It was so well-writen and engaging that we wanted to share the story with you here. Congratulations and thank you to Robby and Emily Palmer for sharing your journey out of the financial matrix (and some transparent humor) with us. Here’s the story, through the written words of Robby Palmer:
Robby and Emily Palmer Escape the Financial Matrix
The Financial Fitness Program is absolutely brilliant; it is truly designed to help people escape the scam of the Financial Matrix. Author, Orrin Woodward, describes it best when he mentions in the book the fantasy world we’re living in. My beautiful and most loyal and supportive wife, Emily Palmer, and I weren’t just trapped in the financial matrix, we were being crushed by it. Not too long ago, we were at our ultimate low. What we found was that the burden of finances was destroying everything else in our life. There was not much joy, and there was a lot of depression, and even suicidal thoughts.
However, this article is meant to be fun. So, it is our hope that you find humor in our struggles. Emily and I are in no way perfect, but we have come a long way. We were $100,000 in previous self-employed business debt–outside of our home–and we literally had nothing left to show for it. I am going to list some of the mistakes we were making, that led us to this bottomless pit. Have some fun, enjoy laughing at us and our silliness, but hopefully you can learn from our mistakes. Hopefully, you and your family will find warning in our mishaps.
Top Signs that you need to dig in to the Financial Fitness Program as soon as you possibly can:
- #1 – If you have ever switched banks, because the overdraft fee on the checking account was too much money, you might need the Financial Fitness Program!
- #2 – If you have ever gone into debt, to pay a debt, you definitely need the Financial Fitness Program!
- #3 – If you have ever used a credit card, that had an available credit balance of less than $5-10, to fill your gas tank, because you know they only pre-approve at the gas pump for a dollar, and there is no other way to fill the tank, you might just need the Financial Fitness Program!
- #4 – If you have ever made a purchase decision, based upon what your mobile device is telling you your account balance is, you may just need to dig into the Financial Fitness Program.
- How many times do you buy something, just to find out that the account balance was missing 3 or 4 items that hadn’t gone through, and then you overdraft.
- #5 – If your account has ever been charged 5 overdraft fees on the same day, you need to stop reading this right now, and start digging into the Financial Fitness Program.
- #6 – If your heart rate increases when you swipe your credit/debit card to make a purchase, because you’re just not sure if it will clear, add some years to your life, and dig into the Financial Fitness Program.
- For Emily and I, tracking…. just tracking alone made a HUGE difference. Knowing where we were at, and not having to check, or to wonder. There is help out there! It may even save your marriage! It is worth it folks, just to add a little discipline.
- #7 – If you have ever randomly placed items from your shopping cart, back onto a shelf in the checkout line, because you started adding up the bill while you waited in line, you deserve the hope that the Financial Fitness Program can bring. No mother should have to bargain the nutrition of her children. Every child deserves to eat healthy.
- Emily and I always have a small joke about a billboard we pass by on I-15 that reads “1 in 5 children suffer from hunger.” In our 5 kids, that is Lulu (Kaylee); sometimes it seems as though she never eats anything. However, when we started to have a better budget for groceries–when we were able to purchase nutritious foods like fruits, vegetables, and more–believe it or not, little Lulu loves these things. We sometimes call her Skinny Mini. Don’t be fooled, we spent a lot of time eating Ramen Noodles and not buying Soda Pop, while we carved our way out of debt. That sacrifice led to a lot of freedom later. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make sacrifices.
- #8 – If you have ever thought “If I can afford the monthly payment, then I can afford it,” please dig into the Financial Fitness Program because you are walking down a road that leads to misery. If you can afford the payment, pay it to yourself for the amount of time required, put it into a savings account, and then go pay cash for it when you have the money saved. Warren Buffet says, “If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will sell things that you do need.” That truth echoed into our life.
Your life doesn’t have to be full of stuff, things, toys and fancy decorated houses to be joyful.
“Real joy for our family, comes in time. Moments that are truly priceless.”
I spent so many years working 8-12 hour days at a job; then doing side business work another 8 hours a day–leaving no time for my family, no time to court my wife, my best friend, and no time to invest into my spiritual life all because of debt. I was a slave to the “I gotta have it now” attitude, and the cost was heavy.
“If we hadn’t been introduced to the Financial Fitness Program, I don’t know where we’d be today. Not only has it been the best, but it has been the only program that has worked for us.”
We’ve tried programs our church offers, other famous programs you hear about on the radio, but nothing made the difference like the Financial Fitness Program did.
Today, Robby and Emily Palmer are free from their obligation to any debt and have built an ongoing residual income that allows them to be stay-at-home parents; their goal is to help other families escape the Financial Matrix. Congratulations to this couple for applying the 47 financial principles from the Financial Fitness Program, and thank you for sharing your story of hope with our readers.